[LINK] bin Laden is dead

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Tue May 3 17:42:05 AEST 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-03 at 16:47, Kim Holburn wrote:
> I find it amazing that so many people just accept that a government can
>  accuse someone of something and send a squad illegally to another
> country and kill them and it's all right with you.

> I'll bet it wouldn't be if say China sent a squad to take out someone
> living in Australia.  I realise it must be so satisfying to many of
>  you that Osama is dead.  I can't say I'm not entirely unhappy about
>  it, but the way this was done was not legal and sets a very bad precedent.

Again, your interpretation. I doubt anyone here would be ok with a
government accusing someone of something and sending a squad illegally
to another country to kill them. Who has said that? Only you. Why do you
think that is? I can't speak for everyone but it might be because no one
has agreed with your interpretation of events. Is that a possibility
here?

There are many interpretations of what may or may not have happened in
this incident. I doubt anyone here has the knowledge to say for sure. So
what makes you think you are so right in the absence of any knowledge?
Just because _you_ think it was illegal and wrong does not make it so.
Get some real facts and then have a sensible discussion.

You appear to be advocating that it's ok to go over to another country,
kill a few thousand people and then be totally left alone simply because
you are hiding in another country somewhere? I'm having a hard time
believing there are people who think like this but I'm very happy we
live in a country where it's possible.

Feel free to educate us all. How would you have handled providing
justice to the thousands killed by terrorists over the years? You seem
to think you are much more enlightened than the rest of us here. So put
up or shut up. Why didn't you let Obama know?

Obviously we disagree. I'm very comfortable with that.

Cheers.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Asia & the Pacific