[LINK] Heads Up - The National Hearing Association

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue May 3 20:25:08 AEST 2011

Pretending to be from the government when they call by talking about the
Governments hearing assistance schemes.

When he attempted to confirm my address to send information too, I
became suspicious when he used standard call centre tactics to elicit
the current address:

NHA: So Tom, are you still at number 34 xxxxxx st. ?
         (Of course I wasn't and have never been.)
TPK: Err, What database are you using ?
NHA: Our database.
TPK:  Is that the Australian Health Database ?
NHA: It's our company database.
TPK: So you're not from the Government.
NHA: Ahh, No

In Commercial law there are penalties for "passing off", is that also
the case with Telemarketers ?
And if so, at what point does misrepresentation become fraud ?

If the answer is when money changes hands, then I would put it to you
that I charge for my time.
My minutes and hours are valuable to me.

The Internet is forcing politicians, Newspaper Publishers and
Broadcasters to be more circumspect about the
facts behind the news with most information seekers preferring the
blogsphere to traditional Journal sites .

We recently debated the merits (or lack of) of FUD in reporting.
I think it might be time to be able to sue for misrepresentation in
telemarketer calls and other advertising.

The con of advertising needs to be removed.
We need to go back to the wholesome adverts of the 1950's.

Persil, washes whiter than white.. [1]

OK, never mind.

[1]
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/persils-whiter-than-white-image-suf