[LINK] bin Laden is dead

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Tue May 3 20:58:34 AEST 2011

> For the record, I agree with Kim. I think the US has behaved no better
> than the terrorists they claim to be combating. Not just in this
> particular instance, but going back to 9/11 and beyond.

In _this_ instance, which is what's being discussed, I could
only agree with you had the US murdered 3,000+ innocent citizens
in the process of capturing him.

You and Kim both base your assumption on the belief that OBL was
murdered. There is no evidence to support that so I think what
we really are seeing here is plain old prejudice. I would have
expected much more from you Karl.

> And those "real facts" are going to come from where? There are no
> uncompromised sources. We are left to debate what appears to have
> happened.

Totally agree. IMHO Kim's posts have not shown respect at all
but rather he is making the point that only his view is the
'right' view. So thanks for making my point.

> Er - are you talking about bin Laden or the US?

Again, you are mixing issues. We all know about the evil things
most countries on this planet have done. This discussion was
about one event and to muddy that by trying to bring in other
events is a weak form of debating.

> There is a BIG difference between justice and vengeance. Bin Laden's
> victims have perhaps been avenged, but there is precious
> little justice involved.

For the record, my personal feelings when I heard he was killed
was sadness at the loss of life. I would have much preferred to
see him and his associates held accountable although I really
think that would be next to impossible. But I won't be losing
any sleep over the fact that he won't be responsible for
planning any more terrorist attacks.

> Sad that the US, in the end, could do no better than that.

And as I said to Kim, what 'better' way is that?' Please,
enlighten me.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator
College of Asia & the Pacific