[LINK] bin Laden is dead

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 4 10:32:43 AEST 2011

At 10:15 AM 4/05/2011, Birch, Jim wrote:
>   It's likely
>that some elements of the military and security services knew what was
>going on and condoned and/or aided it.  Clearly there's a mixture of
>people, sympathies and strategies that aren't coherent.

I didn't see it, but reports this morning about a Lateline interview
said something similar, that Pakistan WAS involved in some way, but
are being let off the hook to avoid the domestic backlash that would
result against the government itself. I reckon there are quite a few
games being played at a few levels to provide deniability. The US has
always said if they foudn ObL there, they would go after him,
regardless of what Pakistan thought or wanted. The buy-off for that
'privilege' has been over a billion $ in aid every year - almost 10
years, almost a $10bil. That buys a lot of 'cooperation'.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/