[LINK] OT: bin Laden is dead

Darrell Burkey darrell.burkey at anu.edu.au
Mon May 9 09:40:34 AEST 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 09:12, roger.clarke at xamax.com.au wrote:
> I feel all the more comfortable about my previous remarks that "It's
> abundantly clear that the US President authorised, and the navy team
> committed, cold-blooded murder.  The act is in breach of international
> law, and subject to prosecution in the International Criminal Court".

Certainly looks that way. So, how do they get away with it? That's a
serious question. Why isn't someone holding them accountable? They must
have a legal justification of some kind? Have they published anything?
Has anyone officially put it to them?

Putting aside the above I do have another question. How do we deal with
situations where someone declares war, openly murders innocent citizens
and then runs away to hide in a part of the world that won't support
their capture? The suggestions made here, and I think Karl was the only
one who really answered about that issue, really don't work IMHO.

So, do we just stand by and accept that under our legal systems these
people have the freedom and right to murder as they see fit if it suits
their cause and just pray we aren't sitting in the wrong cafe when they
blow one up?

Something just isn't right here.

Darrell Burkey
UNIX Systems Administrator