[LINK] Spectrum Vs NBN (Chuckle)

Tom Koltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue May 10 20:30:53 AEST 2011

For years I've been saying 50 Mhz isn't enough for a Broadband
rollout... LTE or "4G"  whatever... There aunt enough spectrum.

AT&T have 100 MHz... And...

Quote/ [From:
<http://d.businessinsider.com/ck.php?n=a3e72918&cb=1589569237> ]

THE SPECTRUM CRISIS: If Nothing Is Done To Fix Our Wireless
Infrastructure, Your iPhone Will Be Useless By 2013

Henry Blodget  | May 9, 2011, 5:05 PM | 1,776

Quote/ [from:
http://www.businessinsider.com/spectrum-crisis-2013-2011-5?utm_source=Tr
iggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=SAI%20Select&utm_campaign=SAI_Select
_051011#ixzz1LwIBpIex]

According to the FCC, the United States is facing an imminent spectrum
crisis, in which exploding demand from smartphones will soon overwhelm
the nation's wireless capacity.

The problem, the FCC says, is the lack of new spectrum being made
available to wireless data carriers. Smartphone data traffic is growing
so fast, the FCC says, that--if nothing is done--we will use up our
available spectrum by 2013.

(Fortunately, the FCC has a plan--see below).

Here are the charts:

 Demand For Wireless Spectrum Is Exploding
<http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/4dc854cb4bd7c8e67a160000-608-4
29/demand-for-wireless-spectrum-is-exploding.png>

Image: Federal Communications Commission

  _____

 Less And Less Spectrum Is Being Auctioned Off
<http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/4dc854fc4bd7c8c47c000000/less-
and-less-spectrum-is-being-auctioned-off.png>

Image: Federal Communications Commission
  _____

 Spectrum Deficit By 2013
<http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/4dc85532ccd1d5a9662b0000/spect
rum-deficit-by-2013.jpg>

Image: Federal Communications Commission

See? By 2013, we're screwed. By 2014, we're really screwed.  And, of
course, the problem won't just affect iPhones. It will hobble Android,
BlackBerry, Windows Phone 7, Palm, and any other remaining smartphones,
too.

So, what's the FCC's plan to fix this?

Something called "Incentive Auctions," in which the owners of old,
under-used spectrum--TV and radio broadcast spectrum, for example--put
the spectrum up for auction and get a portion of the proceeds.

This plan, FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski says, will encourage
companies to part with unused spectrum, create more spectrum that can be
used by wireless data providers, and narrow our massive budget
deficit--because the bulk of the proceeds will go to the Treasury.

What do we think? Just government scaremongering? Good plan? Weigh in
below.

FCC Chair Julius Genachowski will present and defend this plan at our
Startup 2011 conference   on May 10, 2011 in NYC. We'll let you know how
he does!

/Quote.

Anyone on link that wants to know a solution should contact me
offlist...