[LINK] Apparently the World Ends on Saturday.

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri May 20 04:39:43 AEST 2011

Tom writes,

> End of the World on May 21st
>
> Oh sorry, that would appear to be the beginning of the apocalypse.
> According to http://judgementday2011.com/may-21st-doomsday/

Strange .. http://www.astrology.com doesn't seem to be aware of this.

Maybe it's a newly theorized 'wandering planet' they don't know about

 http://www.nature.com/news/2011/110518/full/news.2011.303.html

Our Galaxy may be full of worlds without a sun to call their own.

Free-floating planets may be more common in our Galaxy than stars.

Scattered about the Milky Way are floating, Jupiter-mass objects, which
are likely to be planets wandering around the Galaxy's core instead of
orbiting host stars.

But these planets aren't rare occurrences in the interstellar sea: the
drifters might be nearly twice as numerous as the most common stars.

"This is an amazing result, and if it's right, the implications for planet
formation are profound," says astronomer Debra Fischer at Yale University
in New Haven, Connecticut.

To find the wanderers, scientists turned their telescopes towards the
Galactic Bulge surrounding the centre of the Milky Way. Using a technique
called gravitational microlensing, they detected 10 Jupiter-mass planets
wandering far from light-giving stars. Then they estimated the total
number of such rogue planets, based on detection efficiency, microlensing-
event probability and the relative rate of lensing caused by stars or
planets.

They concluded that there could be as many as 400 billion of these
wandering planets, far outnumbering main-sequence stars such as our Sun.
Their work is published today in Nature1.