[LINK] The Real Google Inventors - Was - Google Moves to Take Back Android

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu May 26 21:06:59 AEST 2011

On 24/05/2011, at 11:05 AM, Tom Koltai wrote:

> The Google Page Ranking methodology was first identified by Cooper in
> 1973 and named the Probability Ranking Principle, PRP [and his later
> work on "expected utility" (relevance) in 1978].
> In Kowalski 1997, Kowalski examines the statistical approach of the
> relevancy of information to the querant using probability based on the
> number of databases a particular topic is referenced in.
>
> Kowalski (and others) called into question some of Coopers conclusions,
> but as this appeared to be based on the available computing capabilities
> of the differing points in the Search Timeline, I have discounted this
> as not being relevant.
>
> What is curious is that PRP is not mentioned anywhere that I can find in
> Page's published works although his algorithm is based on:

Statistical relevance ranking of queries on information retrieval databases goes back to my early years studying to be a librarian.

I refer you to books still on my bookshelf-

B.C.Vickery, "On Retrieval System Theory" 2nd ed, London, Butterworths, 1965

Joseph Becker and Robert M. Hayes, "Information Storage and Retrieval: tools elements and theories", New York, Wiley, 1963

F. Wilfred Lancaster, "Information Retrieval System: characteristics, testing and evaluation", New Yory, Wiley, 1968.

What google did was based I am sure on earlier work particularly that of Gerard Salton http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Salton whose semester length course, compressed into a week, I attended, I think, in 1967.

Tony
Phone: 02 6241 7659, Mobile: 04 3365 2400, Skype: antonybbarry
Email: tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au, antonybbarry at me.com, antonybbarry at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/people/antonybbarry
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au