[LINK] James Gleick on Information

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu May 26 21:18:13 AEST 2011

On 23/05/2011, at 7:29 PM, Tom Worthington wrote:

> Mr. Gleick then mentioned Shannon's paper "A Mathematical Theory of
> Communication" (1948) which provided a theory of information. He pointed
> out that Shannon in his youth produced a "barbed wire" communications
> network.

I tried to read Khinchin's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khinchin two monographs on information theory and  statistical mechanics where he showed they were both aspects of entropy back in the sixties but my grasp of the maths was shaky. I became convinced that information retrieval systems and thermodynamics were based on the same deep mathematics.

Tony

Phone: 02 6241 7659, Mobile: 04 3365 2400, Skype: antonybbarry
Email: tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au, antonybbarry at me.com, antonybbarry at gmail.com
http://www.facebook.com/people/antonybbarry
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au