[LINK] ACT Open Government Web Page Failed Web Tests

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Nov 2 08:34:53 AEDT 2011

I wrote Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:37:24 +1100:

> The ACT Government ... Open Government website ...
> http://www.cmd.act.gov.au/open_government ... failed an
> automated web accessibility test ...

The ACT Legislative Assembly IT Manager contacted me to say they have
recently commenced a project to upgrade the parliamentary website. This
includes accessibility and mobility. After a consultation process, they
aim to have the new site in production in twelve months.

However, when I reran the tests on the ACT Assembly Home Page, the
results were far worse, than for the previously tested "open government"
web page.

Tests of the ACT Assembly Home Page: http://www.legassembly.act.gov.au/

1. W3C Markup Validation Service: 174 Errors, 77 warning(s):
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=www.parliament.act.gov.au&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0&user-agent=W3C_Validator%2F1.2

2. W3C mobileOK Checker: Score 0 out of 100. Failures per severity:
critical 1, severe 6, medium 4, low 7:
http://validator.w3.org/mobile/check?task=201111010031299.mobile2&docAddr=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.parliament.act.gov.au%2F

3. TAW WCAG 2.0 Analysis level A: 166 Problems in 7 success criteria:
Perceivable 61, Operable 2, Understandable 2, Robust 101:
http://www.tawdis.net/ingles.html

In my view the ACT Assembly should not wait a year before taking action
to correct the errors in its web site. It should at least correct the
errors in the home page. This is something which could be greatly
improved with just one day's work by a competent person.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/