[LINK] Flipping the classroom: using technology to change the way lessons are delivered.

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Nov 9 08:46:34 AEDT 2011

On 07/11/11 15:39, David Boxall wrote:
> From:
> <http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/technology-brings-the-classroom-back-home-in-role-reversal-20111106-1n1xv.html>.
>
> Technology brings the classroom back home in role reversal
> Andrew Stevenson November 7, 2011
>
> ... Technology offers the opportunity to break up the traditional lesson
> structure and to shift learning opportunities in both space and time. In
> a pure flip, a lesson might be ''taught'' online at home; class time
> becomes a place for a student to do their ''homework'' - to practice
> what they have learnt. ...

This is not that different to the "Tutorial System" used at Cambridge
and Oxford universities, where the students study by themselves and then
demonstrate it at a regular "tutorial". I use a version of this with
most of the reading materials available on-line and the face to face
tutorials replaced by on-line forums:
http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/graduate_education/

You do not need much technology to do this. The hard part is retraining
teachers and adjusting the administration to make it work. Courses have
to be carefully designed, to the point where the guidance is not obvious
to the student. But this can work too well, with the students
complaining the teachers are not "teaching" them.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/