[LINK] Fibre Networking - Transact sells to iiNet

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 23 16:20:39 AEDT 2011

On 23/11/2011 4:05 PM, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> At 03:50 PM 23/11/2011, Paul Brooks wrote:
>> if iiNet
>> can convince the relevent powers that the open-access-wholesale
>> criteria is being met,
>> saving the taxpayer some money.
> All they would need to do, me thinks, is open it to other retailers,
> charge a premium for it like Telstra does  now (my rates just went up
> because of that), and all's well.
The original vision for TransACT was entirely wholesale-only open-access. In the
Canberra infrastructure, TransACT data has 12 retail ISPs (including iiNet) all
providing services over the infrastructure. Slightly different model for telephones
and payTV though, due to history (what do you do if you build a wholesale-only
infrastructure model - and nobody steps up to be a retailer?)

> It will be interesting to see what happens to the new FTTHs in the
> green field estates that are doing essentially the same thing.
Many of these are already open-access wholesale-only. And recall the Feds released a
raft of legislation after much consultation and round-tables specifically dealing with
greenfield estates last year.
http://www.dbcde.gov.au/broadband/national_broadband_network/fibre_in_new_developments

It will be interesting to see what happens to those others that try to remain
retail-vertically-integrated monopolies, for sure.