[LINK] Microsoft slams local data centre edict

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Fri Nov 25 20:52:18 AEDT 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-25 at 12:53 +1100, Richard Chirgwin wrote:

> Would a max latency of 50 milliseconds be regarded as a reasonable
> technical specification for a cloud application? :-)

Hi Richard,

If we're talking one-way latency as seen by the network then here's a
sort of strip maps of places of interest

Singapore --25ms-- Perth --14ms-- Adelaide --5ms-- Melbourne --6ms--
Sydney --25ms-- Seattle

Sydney --10ms-- Brisbane

Melbourne --5ms-- Hobart

Adelaide --18ms-- Darwin

So at first glimpse the spec excludes a single overseas datacentre
serving all sites in Australia.

The situation is a bit more complicated then the raw figures indicate,
so feel free to give me a call (tel num is on the AARNet site).

Cheers, Glen

--
 Glen Turner <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>