[LINK] ABC News: Government communications: online but out of touch

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sun Oct 9 07:23:45 AEDT 2011

Government communications: online but out of touch
Fri 07 Oct 11, 17:06pm AEST
Annie O'Rourke

In Australia the democratic promise of Jobs's legacy remains unfulfilled. While millions of people are mourning the loss of Steve Jobs, no doubt having heard about it via their smartphone through Twitter, Facebook or news feed, most people in Government Communications are still acting as if the e-revolution never happened over 10 years ago. Sadly, e-communications is one of the areas letting down the Government the most. How do I know? Because during the first term of the Rudd government, having seen the extraordinary potential of e-communications in the United States, I was given the job of creating the prime minister's e-communications unit. It was about bringing the highest office in our democracy into the 21st century. The problem was that Canberra in general became a centre of...

to read the full story on your mobile please use this link
http://m.abc.net.au/browse?page=11144&articleid=3343256&cat=The Drum

to read the full story on a PC or Mac please use this link
http://tinyurl.com/3eklxfe

*** DISCLAIMER ***
This message was sent to you using the "Share" facility on the ABC iPad app. To make a comment about this email, contact us : http://www.abc.net.au/contact/

The ABC is not responsible for the content of this email, and anything said in this email does not necessarily reflect the ABC's views. Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. The information contained in this email and any attachment is confidential and may contain legally privileged or copyright material. It is intended only for the use of the addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are not permitted to disseminate, distribute or copy this email or any attachments. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. The ABC does not represent or warrant that this transmission is secure or virus free. Before opening any attachment you should check for viruses. The ABC's liability is limited to resupplying any email and attachment.

-----
Sent from my iPad