[LINK] Jobs not all bad

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Thu Oct 13 12:45:01 AEDT 2011

2c worth.

1c: Apple's wish for the walled garden is far, far older than the iPad
or iPhone. I have, or had, a T-shirt from the first half of the 1990s
promoting an Apple-branded Internet service - I forget the name. The
idea was, back then, that the Internet was big, dangerous and
uncontrolled, so here's a "safe" place for children. Anyone surprised at
later developments forgot their history.

1c: In this as in other parts of the Internet, many people were a little
smug; the aphorism that "the Internet treats censorship as damage and
routes around it" was our excuse for assuming that walled gardens would
never succeed. Didn't turn out that way.

RC