[LINK] Canberra Emergency Warnings About Factory Fire

Ash Nallawalla ash at melbpc.org.au
Sun Sep 18 08:53:56 AEST 2011

In the early 80s I experienced the EBS via TV in the US:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Broadcast_System I saw it many times,
possibly on different TV channels. This November I will be in the US during
a planned test of the EAS, which replaced the EBS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Alert_System. I have a US mobile, so
I expect it will get the message.

> I suggested using Cell Broadcast in Australia, but there are some
technical
> problems with it:
> http://www.tomw.net.au/technology/it/bushfire_warning_system/

I have been at the office when the Victorian test SMSs were sent and most of
us got them within a minute or two of each other, but I agree that the cell
broadcast method would be better.  Is every link in that path guaranteed to
have backup electricity for a few minutes?

Ash