[LINK] One for privacy and security

Martin Barry marty at supine.com
Wed Sep 21 06:21:26 AEST 2011

$quoted_author = "David Boxall" ;

> I ran across mention of Comodo Dragon at
> <http://www.techishare.com/tech/comodo-dragon-vs-google-chrome-updated/>
> and decided to give it a try. So far, I'm impressed.

The other changes sound interesting but this one...

> ADDED Certificate Domain Validation checking warning
> Comodo Dragon uses advanced domain validation technology originally
> developed in Comodo Verification Engine.  It performs additional
> analysis of a domain's SSL certificate to warn about those that been
> issued with Domain Only Validation.

...is just self-serving. Domain Only validation does, theoretically, require
less evidence (control of an email address) that the true owner of the
domain is the same person or entity requesting the certificate.

However, in my experience, the only thing consistently true about Extended
Validation (EV) certificates are that they cost more. The standard of
documentation required and the thoroughness with which it is checked is
highly variable, reducing the trustworthiness of EV certificates back down
in the same ball park as Domain Only.

cheers
Marty