[LINK] Computers, Freedom, and Privacy Conf., DC, 2013

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Apr 5 17:06:38 AEST 2012

                  Letter from the Conference Chair

We are busy preparing for Computers, Freedom, and Privacy 2013, which
will be held in D.C. in early 2013. We will send more information
about the conference soon, however, we invite you to join in an
exciting experiment to harness the energy of the CFP community and
to involve people who might not attend the Conference.

This year, we invite you to apply to organize a mini-conference (a
small gathering that lasts for a few hours) for a discussion about
issues pertinent to CFP.

The mini-conferences will be a great opportunity to have extended
conversations around Computers, Freedom, and Privacy, and they will
give the CFP community a chance to propose speakers and topics for
CFP 2013.  For example:  the EU-US negotiations on data-sharing and
privacy; the security and privacy of electronic health records; new
frontiers in technology and how they affect privacy; and cybersecurity
and civil liberties.

Here's more information:

o  The mini-conferences will carry the CFP name and will be held
    between May and October 2012.
o  They will be small gatherings lasting no more than a few hours.
o  They will be limited to a few (no more than 3) issues pertinent
    to CFP.
o  After the mini-conferences, organizers are asked to provide a short
    summary of the meeting, including any suggestions for topics and
    speakers for CFP 2013.
o  CFP will offer a toolkit, including a discussion guide, to assist
    with putting together the mini-conferences, but organizers will be
    responsible for programming.
o  CFP will help with advertising the event.
o  CFP will not be able to provide funding for the mini-conferences,
    but they are designed to be low- or no-cost events and we will help
    with promotion.

To apply, please send an email to ideas12 at cfp.org listing your name
and any organizational affiliation, what you wish to discuss at the
mini-conference, the kinds of groups or individuals to be invited, and
when and where the mini-conference will be.

You can follow our plans for 2012 at http://www.cfp.org/2012/,
or learn about prior conferences at http://www.cfp.org/.

Sincerely,

Barry Steinhardt

Chair, CFP Steering Committee

P.S. Beyond the CFP mini-conferences, we are open to co-sponsoring or
co-branding related events that are already in the works. If you are
planning a conference and would like to co-brand and get our help on
advertising and promoting it, please contact me at ideas12 at cfp.org.

Modify options:  send mail to announcements-request at cfp.org
Get help from a person:  send mail to cfp12-request at cfp.org