[LINK] CSIRO, 'the invention of WiFi', licence fees

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Apr 9 19:50:21 AEST 2012

Roger,

The only reason I haven't written any kind of rebuttal is that to
address each of Mullins' errors would require reproduction of pretty
much the entire article.

I have a special and privileged position, in a way: I was aware of John
O'Sullivan's work in radio and in chip design before this stuff ... as a
(sorry Jan) journalist in the late 1980s or (very) early 1990s, writing
about the chips he helped design to get the Australia Telescope at
Narrabri to work.

(I also met David Skellern before any of this. Actually, I sat between
him and Graeme Hellustrand on a flight to an electronics conference in
Adelaide, listening to their mounting outrage about the State of
Research in Australia and dodging flying coffee. But that's probably not
germane to this discussion!)

I have a vague recollection of CSIRO announcing the patent, but I don't
have archives of Electronics News to check...

Anyhow.

As Mark Summerfield has pointed out on Patentology,
http://blog.patentology.com.au/2012/04/five-reasons-why-ars-technicas-savaging.html
and
http://blog.patentology.com.au/2012/04/story-behind-csiros-wi-fi-patent.html
- the Mullin article ignores that the patent survived several
re-examinations, and a judge declined to void the patent.

His demolition is better than I could have done, so I'll only throw in a
couple of side points.

1. A lot of commenters - including Ars' editor in defence of Mullin -
say "this is just engineering and shouldn't be patented", which is just
silly. The basic science - the fact that radio waves behave in a certain
way - can't be patented (or shouldn't) - patents protect
implementations, the engineering. Not the science, which is and should
be everyone's.

2. Mullin doesn't understand in the least degree what CSIRO is and what
it's for. Nor does Ars understand the line between science and
engineering. The behaviour of radio waves is a scientific fact, which
you can't patent (note, there are exceptions to this, but let's stay out
of rabbit holes!). When Terry Percival tells the court "CSIRO didn't
invent" those behaviours, that doesn't affect whether an implementation
is still available to be patented. CSIRO didn't invent the behaviour of
radio waves; it invented a way to exploit them.

And so on, ad infinitum throughout the whole shabby piece. It's just a
drooling, foaming-at-the-mouth, nationalistic rant.

RC