[LINK] WP: The Pentagon is turned on by eWar

Rachel Polanskis grove at zeta.org.au
Wed Apr 11 17:35:48 AEST 2012

Has anyone here actually used SELinux - I did but only for a trial while I did my Redhat studies,
for about 3 weeks.

It's "not very nice to use"....   I will not go into details, but it is pretty heavy duty stuff that logs
just about every action on the system.   Some rulesets can be created to permit various functions, but I found it a particular hassle.  In the end, you also need to hack your apps
(ie have source code and a room of appropriately shaved monkeys to support it) to use all
the features and god forbid you want backups restored  or have to do DR on it......  One of the annoying bits is having to recast shell scripts and so on if they needed to work in the secure realm. Some things will not work at all for various reasons, so you have to destress the secure
bits if you want to use them.

I also tried Trusted Solaris a few years ago and likewise found that difficult to use,
so I do not know how regular users coped with it.....

rachel

--
rachel polanskis
<r.polanskis at uws.edu.au>