[LINK] RFI: PayWave/PayPass Contactless Chip Cards

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Apr 11 19:49:27 AEST 2012

On 2012/Apr/11, at 4:20 PM, Stephen Wilson wrote:
> Actually no, it's all in the one chip now.  A single "dual interface"
> chip talks to the outside world through either the gold plated contacts
> you see on the surface, or an antenna buried in the plastic.  Scratching
> off the contacts need not affect the wireless channel.  Very
> sophisticated smartcards can detect damage to the contacts or other
> elements of the electronics and respond by self-destructing, but banks
> don't invest in that level of security.

With some security cards I recently had something to do with recently, the people issuing them were punching a slot in the cards so the users could put a small strap in them.  On some cards the slot broke the aerial and the wireless function stopped working.  I suppose if you could work out where the aerial ran, you could punch a small hole in the card and cut the aerial but wouldn't that void the card?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant