[LINK] Well, it is April

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Tue Apr 17 11:25:09 AEST 2012

But it's neither the first nor a Friday.
A bit off-topic perhaps, but hilarious.

 From
<http://theconversation.edu.au/no-modest-proposal-bioengineering-humans-for-global-warming-6446>.
> You know the situation is getting desperate when three bio-ethicists propose genetically modifying humans to reduce our environmental impact.  ...

> One leading idea is genetic intervention to allow parents to select shorter children because smaller people eat less. They also use less petrol in their cars, need less energy-consuming fabric for their clothes, and wear out their shoes more slowly.
>
> If at some stage families have their emissions capped, parents could choose “between two medium-sized children, or three small-sized children” or, if they wanted a basketball player, “one really large child”, ...

> ... genetically engineering human eyes to be more like those of a cat because “if everyone had cat eyes, you wouldn’t need so much lighting”; reducing the birth rate by “cognitively enhancing” unintelligent women because “women with low cognitive ability are more likely to have children before age 18”; “pharmacological enhancement of altruism and empathy”; and pills that make those who take them vomit if they eat beef, thereby reducing demand for beef.  ...

The full paper is at
<http://www.smatthewliao.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/HEandClimateChange.htm>.

--
David Boxall                    |  Dogs look up to us
                                |  And cats look down on us
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  But pigs treat us as equals
                                                    --Winston Churchill