[LINK] Standards, please! The third coming of electric vehicles

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Wed Apr 18 15:34:21 AEST 2012

For mine, electric vehicles are neither the most practical, nor the
least environmentally damaging option.

As far as my inexpert research can tell, the best batteries, under the
best conditions, are 80 % efficient. That is, of the energy put in to
charging a battery, 20% will not be delivered back. As a battery ages,
its efficiency decreases. Under less than ideal conditions, efficiency
declines.

Add to that, environmental impacts of battery production, use and
recycling, the impacts of batteries that _aren't_ recycled, plus those
of generating and reticulating electricity to charge them and the
picture is far from rosy. We should learn the lessons of lead/acid;
though the technologies may be different, I doubt the problems will be
any less.

 From
<http://theconversation.edu.au/standards-please-the-third-coming-of-electric-vehicles-6377>
> Electric vehicles (EVs) are not new. But recent developments could give them something of a boost in the eyes of the buying public. If so, it wouldn’t be the first time.
> Once again, the flames are being fanned by factors external to the industry: our focus on climate change, renewable energy and global resource shortages.
>
> The big difference, when compared with previous affairs, is the considerable advancement in battery technologies, in part due to mass production in other sectors.
> One big, and not-often-thought-about problem that must be resolved before EVs can begin to be sold in larger numbers is the issue of “standardisation” – simply, the process of developing and implementing agreed-upon technical standards that become the established norm across the EV industry.
One interesting comment:

--
David Boxall                         | "Cheer up" they said.
http://david.boxall.id.au            | So I cheered up and,