[LINK] Standards, please! The third coming of electric vehicles

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Apr 19 11:28:59 AEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 4:48 PM, David Boxall <
david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au> wrote:

> You're clearly passionate about battery-powered vehicles (BPVs). BPVs
> are really only suitable for relatively short journeys. There are few
> such journeys for which private transport is the best solution (or even
> a viable one, in the longer term). Most would be better travelled on
> foot or by public transport. If a sensible BPV is possible, it's a long,
> long way off.

How about the Chevy Volt?

50km on electricity - enough to cover most peoples standard daily driving,
be to that to/from work, down to the stops, etc.

500km on petrol - giving the same flexibility as a normal petrol powered
vehicle.

Regenerative braking and the other usual benefits of "Hybrids" like the
Prius.

Perfect? No.  But a sensible "BPV"?  I'd certainly say yes.

  Scott.