[LINK] Dealing with Your IAP

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Thu Apr 19 16:58:43 AEST 2012

At 16:22 +1000 19/4/12, Karl Schaffarczyk wrote:
>The takeaway is that this customer service level is what you have
>paid for. Choosing an IAP on price when relying on that connection
>for business is always a risk.
>Choose a big professional grade ISP like Internode, then buy a
>business grade service, and you will get a help desk who listens.
>Or find a micro provider who is very local and who has one or two
>employees. This size of business will listen to you too.

As regards service to me, fine - $600 p.a. gets you all-but zero
support.  (Mind you, the TPG I contracted with 7 years ago didn't
market itself like a Dodo, so to speak).

And I use (and always have used) precisely your recommended approach
for my mailbox and web-site hosting, for several years now with
Infinite.

But surely the business logic, even with cheap-and-dirty consumer
services - is to earn more money than you spend.

If a business can't take advantage of the (admittedly small minority
of) consumers' incident reports that identify systemic problems and
point to the solution, then the revenue will evaporate and the costs
(most of which are committed) won't.

(The switching costs for a consumer, even if you're on-contract, are
small in financial terms, and not all that high in terms of effort -
especially if there's an unfixed problem and hence a sub-standard
service).

At 22:18 +1000 18/4/12, rene wrote:
>Probably more than that, given the number of complaints about the same TPG
>problem here:
><http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1901706>http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1901706
>( a thread that includes posts by several TPG staff since 3 pm yesterday -
>along the lines of "we're investigating").

A good clear indication of where the problem lay was in jardeath's
post, at 19:04 on Tue evening.

It was acknowledged by a TPG rep at 20:10, but it still took another
15 hours, until 11:41, to get a temprary fix done.

Am I being too bold when I suggest that a re-boot of the identified
device would have had a, say, 80% chance of fixing the problem?  The
collateral damage should have been minor pain for the other things
that the device was doing at the time - which should all be
self-healing thanks to the error-correction features of all the
relevant protocols.

The 'take-away' from the event is that the company not only can't use
its incident reporting system to detect major problems (and
solutions) - which it could have discovered at 09:32 Tue - but it
also failed to exploit meaningful content on the grizzle-boards -
which appeared at 19:04 the same day.

Update:
(1)  the same thing happened between 06:00 and 07:45 this morning
      (I was only at the desk some of the time, so I can't nail down
      the actual window)
(2)  I would have emailed the engineer, but had no email-address,
      so I emailed the CEO again
(3)  in fact, that interruption was the intended final fix being done.
      (The temp fix on Wed was to fiddle with the routing tables in
      order to - partly? - isolate the device, and the final fix was
      replacement of the device, done c. 06:45)
(4)  as soon as I saw it was back, I emailed the CEO again
(5)  the engineer has subsequently called and given me an inside
      email-address for the engineering group  (:-)}

     (The engineer explained, without me prompting, why this was a
     difficult problem to detect automatically, whereas a device or
     server *outage* would have been auto-reported to engineering)
-   the arrangements for detecting dissatisfaction in user-land, and
     monitoring sources for useful diagnostic information, are a serious
     weak-point, which has cost the company an amount of cred and goodwill

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW