[LINK] FTTP/FTTN

Ross Kelso kelso at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 20 11:05:22 AEST 2012

Richard

We have yet to see the detail of the Coalition's plan, but if it is to include the continued existence of HFC-delivered broadband (which I guess it would since Turnbull frequently talks about the current broadband delivery of such infrastructure) then a possible plan could exclude FTTN from areas currently covered by HFC networks (Telstra/Optus) and hence there would be far fewer FTTN nodes required?  This of course would necessitate a Coalition government leaning on the ACCC to 'declare' these HFC networks to be 'open' - in the current climate this should be a doozy, but for those who recall the mid 1990s the ACCC signally failed to do so, arguing that the (ISP) industry didn't ask them to act accordingly.

Cheers

Ross Kelso