[LINK] FTTP/FTTN

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Sat Apr 21 14:14:04 AEST 2012

Dear Ross, as another old fart rummaging... I would like to answer you
at length, however life is too short and I don't have another ten years
to "give" the ungrateful Australian public.

Therefore mindful of the nasties I shall apply some slip slap slop and
unfortunately restrain myself from commenting on your perceived reasons
or in fact any Journalists misreading of the events.

Exceptions to misreading would be documents written at the time on the
reasonably accurate FirstPR website by former Linkers, Stewart Fist and
Robin Whittle.

...and I will add that we attempted to have "swept copper" nominated as
a declared service for alarm circuits in 1996.
When Optus legal chaps declined to lobby Canberra against opening up the
copper, claiming their HFC would provide them all the competitive edge
that they needed, (even though the ex-PacWest engineers that then worked
for me in Portland told me differently,) we attempted to convince
Canberra that the HFC should also be a declared service and open to
competition...

That drive created the Australian Internet Association in the Boardroom
of OGN in about February 1997. I declined to be a board member because
of my obvious conflicts of interest.

I have heard it said: "...it is sad to live in a country where the
greatest weapon of Mass Destruction are the civil servants manipulating
their "elected masters" to achieve their own empire building agendas".
Possibly it was one of those Yes Minister episodes.

TomK