[LINK] Roadshow loses appeal

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Apr 22 00:50:17 AEST 2012

Martin et-al write,

> I agree with Frank's comments about iiNet's role ..

Ditto. And a best-fit metaphor might appear our postal service.

> but I was wondering what is the "right way" for the right's holders
> to go about enforcing their copyright.

Yes, it's the central issue. Generally ISPs (eg Telstra) seem to agree:

"We welcome the legal clarity provided by the High Court’s judgement,
(However) Telstra promotes the use of its services in a manner that
respects the lawful rights of others including intellectual property
rights like copyright. (And) Telstra remains open to constructive
discussions with rights holders, the industry, consumer groups and
government to seek a response to this issue that appropriately balances
the interests of all stakeholders."

Perhaps clarification is at hand. The Australian Law Reform Commission
(ALRC) has begun a review into the use of copyright in a digital context.

"(The ALRC) inquiry will seek a review of whether the exceptions in the
Copyright Act are adequate and appropriate in the digital environment.
Currently, the Copyright Act has general exceptions to the rules
regarding infringement of copyright.. in a fast changing, technologically-
driven world it is vital for us to see whether existing statute is
appropriate and whether it can be improved." (Former Attorney-General
Robert McLelland, in 2011)

The ALRC inquiry draft terms of reference were recently released for
public consultation ..

<http://www.ag.gov.au/Consultationsreformsandreviews/Documents/Final%20-%
20Revised%20draft%20terms%20of%20reference%20ALRC%20review.pdf>

Cheers,
Stephen