[LINK] The Australia-US Alliance

David Boxall david.boxall at hunterlink.net.au
Wed Apr 25 10:03:19 AEST 2012

On 24/04/2012 8:08 PM, stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
> Recently Link had some robust and interesting discussion regarding the
> purchase of Chinese vrs American NBN ICT resources. The Link consensus
> was quite definite regarding American, or perhaps non-Chinese, which I
> for one agreed with. However the Link discussions also involve broader
> geo-political implications and futures for Australia going forward. As
> these are off-topic for Link, ...
I beg to differ. In view of demands to extend and enforce American
privileges (involving interference with IT & telecomm's), I reckon it's
on-topic.

That said, the problem stems (I think) from the fact that we still think
like an outpost of Europe (despite geography and our ethnic & cultural
makeup). We're more comfortable with the US because it's more like Europe.

--
David Boxall                    |  Perfection is achieved, not when
http://david.boxall.id.au       |  when there is nothing left to take
                                |  away.
                                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery