[LINK] itNews: 'Google cops record fine for Safari bypass'

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Fri Aug 10 15:59:59 AEST 2012

Roger Clarke wrote:

> [Google's behaviour has been so arrogant that the FTC - an oversight
> agency that I have always characterised as weak and highly
> business-sympathetic - has felt it necessary to fine the company $20
> million.
>
> [But the arrogance remains.  The company successfully avoided
> admitting guilt, and can treat the fine as a (small) cost of going
> about its privacy-abusive business.]

Perhaps it is time to consider the role the corporation is playing
in the structure of our society.

Perhaps it is time to take a hard look at how this "person under the
law" has matured in the last 150 years. Some say that the Corporation
exhibits many of the classic symptoms of a psychopath. The Corporation
has certainly matured into an irresponsible self-serving ugly beast.

Even before Eisenhower's admonitions about the military-industrial
complex, Lincoln had his misgivings about giving corporate entities
any power at all.

Corporations have come a long way, baby. And yet they behave worse
than any baby on the planet.

"Persons under the law." What a laugh. Until we start incarcerating
the real clowns running the corporate show, until we impose penalties
that really bite, that really have some impact, the misbehaviour will
only increase.

-rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

"Recognition of reincarnated individuals is strictly forbidden."
      -- Chinese edict, Tourist Office, Yushu Tibet