[LINK] itNews: 'AGIMO defends Government cloud take-up'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Thu Aug 23 10:09:49 AEST 2012

At 08:17 AM 23/08/2012, Roger Clarke wrote:

>He said large Commonwealth agencies ran 2.3 virtual servers for each
>physical server - small compared to a theoretical maximum of 60:1,
>but higher than the world average of 1.9.

I thought that an odd comparison. Theoretical doesn't tell you much.
Could have been any number, since it's theoretical. But the second
one: 1.9 world average is just bizarre without knowing what parts of
the world are included. Is Africa in there? Outer Mongolia? Or just
OECD countries - which would be a much more informative comparison.

>AGIMO first assistant secretary John Sheridan refuted claims that the
>Government had taken too tentative an approach to the cloud, noting
>that its DCaaS tender documents had been downloaded 200 times since
>their release on 31 July.

That metric is also just silly as a determiner for how 'tentative'
they are. (John, not sticking this on you, but did he really conflate
those ideas?)

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com