[LINK] Link Archive backup service

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Sun Dec 2 11:21:14 AEDT 2012

Stephen et al

A few things to consider:

1. We already have a reliable record maintained through ANU services.

2. Having pored over Mail Archive, I do not have confidence that the site will be as well maintained, or funded, as mailman.anu.edu.au

3. I see little to encourage me to suggest that the site will not be used for mail harvesting down the track, and whilst there is scant mention of mail security and record-keeping, it's a .com with no recognisable governance or control, other than Jeff Breidenbach and Jeff Marshall.

4. The site is based in California, and is not in any way controllable by Link members directly.

5. It will only archive material from the day it receives messages from Link (i.e. not before today).

The real question is: do we really need a secondary resource to maintain back-ups of messages?

If sufficient people believe that this is worthwhile and poses no risk to subscribers, I'll make archive at mail-archive.com a full subscriber (at present, mail-archive.com is a 'no mail' subscriber to Link: i.e.. is not permitted to receive mail from Link). If I receive no interest, I'll simply remove mail-archive from our subscriber listing altogether.

Warmly

iT