[LINK] silly/funny iTunes article

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Dec 4 14:04:40 AEDT 2012

On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Jan Whitaker wrote:

> http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/mp3s/itunes-time-has-run-out-20121203-2aqh9.html
>
> Worth a read. I would call it the 'Swiss army knife' of software.

By which you mean "a thousand features and crap at all of them"?!

I do not like the new iTunes either.  I like to browse for apps and generally
try to find those made by independant developers and not the big studio shops.

But the whole search thing has changed, so that instead of being like a bazaar
with everything available if you rummage for it, it is now a confined search
limited to someone's idea of the "top" or "the most popular".  Anyway,
I found a few ways to get around it, but it is just a little too clever for its own
good.

The new iTunes and device appstore interface is actually sucky the same way
as the new Win8 "metro" interface is.  That is, it has been described as
dozens of carnival spruikers and barkers all jiggling and vying for your attention.

I know that iTunes is causing sites where these devices need to be managed a bit
of grief.  I thought once a long time ago that Apple had made the iTunes API
available, so I am surprised no one ever cut their own version of it, with
all the marketing guff cut out and just the ability to sync and sort.

The problem is of course that these big corporations have separate departments
all competing to get their product in the release cycle.  Instead of working
together to provide a common logic and workflow, along with some kind of
overall standard, these departments work against each other, with marketing
wanting one type of product that pushes advertising and retail direct to the
device and engineers who just want the product to work properly regardless
of the content.

I have to say, I do like my iPad, I like the Mac and OSX, but the marketing
guff and some of these cheezy ways of pushing stuff on me that I will
never buy gets under my skin a bit.....

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html