[LINK] Inexpensive GPON optical sniffing - a matter of time or already possible?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Fri Dec 7 15:30:52 AEDT 2012

On 7/12/2012 2:50 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> Per your reply I infer, then, that using the equipment I referenced in my original
> post, which is sold for GPON troubleshooting would be illegal in AU?

If you were an employee or contractor to NBN Co (or the owner of the GPON
infrastructure), tasked with troubleshooting GPON problems, you'd be OK.

For anybody else, using such equipment would be illegal.
Note the equipment itself is not illegal - using it on a network without authorisation
is illegal. In this country.

Note that even outside Australia, using that equipment might not get you too much
information - AFAIK the downstream data is encrypted, so even if you could get access
to the raw GEM frames, you're unlikely to make much of the random data within unless
you can also work out how to get your hands on the decryption keys.

P.