[LINK] Is the NBN Ready for Extreme Weather?

tomk tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Dec 7 17:23:51 AEDT 2012

On 7/12/2012 1:27 p.m., Kim Holburn wrote:
> Yeah, I meant in a reasonable world where I could make a call and it would
> go through whatever network was available the telcos would sort it out.
> Preferably without ridiculous roaming charges and for extras, with charges
> commensurate with a 2Kb data connection and (why not go for it all) a pony.
>
> Falkvinge recently had a series of articles on this, the URLs speak for
> themselves:
>
> http://falkvinge.net/2012/11/27/free-market-failure-telco-profit-margin-on-data-roaming-exceeds-one-million-per-cent/
>
> http://falkvinge.net/2012/11/28/free-market-failure-telcos-charge-more-for-sending-a-text-next-door-than-cost-of-sending-data-from-mars/
>
> http://falkvinge.net/2012/11/26/oecd-telcos-overcharging-by-five-orders-of-magnitude/
>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net <
> mskeggs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Are there mobile networks internationally that allow 'peering' where
>> non-customers use other operators networks with no settlement?
>> If so, has it ever happened between networks of differing coverage sizes?
>> With different commercial plans?
>> I don't see how it would work in Oz. If I were in a marginal coverage zone
>> I would buy a Crazy Johns prepaid and use NextG.
>> Regards,
>> Michael Skeggs

Well Kim, the US FCC agree with you....

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6282UZ20100309?type=technologyNews?feedType=nl&feedName=ustechnology

(Reuters) - U.S. regulators may dedicate spectrum to free wireless
Internet service for some Americans to increase affordable broadband
service nationwide, the Federal Communications Commission said on Tuesday.

The FCC provided few details about how it would carry out such a plan and
who would qualify, but will make a recommendation under the National
Broadband Plan set for release next week. The agency will determine
details later.

One way of making broadband more affordable is to "consider use of
spectrum for a free or a very low cost wireless broadband service," the
FCC said in a statement.