[LINK] Can you believe your eyes any more?

tomk tomk at unwired.com.au
Thu Dec 20 15:29:04 AEDT 2012

On 20/12/2012 8:28 a.m., Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Did anyone else see the footage on the news last night of an eagle
> snatching a child in a park? Think again.....
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/childsnatching-eagle-hoax-video-goes-viral-20121220-2bo0u.html
>
> Jan

For those that still watch the news, such distractions will become
common place over the next few months.
Mainstream media is still watched by approximately 48% of baby boomer or
older generations and these people also need to get the benefit of Cass'
practical experiments.

But young people (with any education,) have pretty much abandoned
appointment television.
The fact that existing corporations don't grok the new media is
demonstrated by that well known brand, Carlton.

Their Youtube Channel at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd3oQHcrWfDhFfpSNoOoeww
has 51 subscribers with 12 videos scoring only a measly 19,108 video
views between all of them.
Even with titles like :"Colin Clarke FYVE Shredding in the States "
doing cool snow-boarding stuff to a good music track.

Most 15 year old pimply kids with a crush on the girl at the local
Wal/K/Mini-Mart check-out get higher numbers with their "Ode to Love -
(wanna-hookup Beeeyatch ?) Youtube declarations".
I might add, those bedroom made PC-Cam videos are a lot cheaper than the
Carlton advertising production budgets.

My guess is that young people today just don't care all that much for
commercial branding anymore.
Free to Air is being forced by the Internet to deliver Day Date program
release or lose their audience virtually overnight.
And to compete with UFO, Yeti, and Apocalypse tomorrow Youtube/Vimeo etc
content,  free to Air stations are being forced to employ the same CGI
trickery (WOW or Bullsh*t factor) commonplace on Youtube.

It would appear that whilst the Print press sold out it's integrity
years ago, the video equivalent is being forced to follow suit.
I wonder what future [cough] historians will make of all the fakery now
being fed to our masses.

And just how is all the above relevant to Link ?
Well, how does one know what to archive and what not to archive ?
Grimms fairy tales were handed down by multiple generations giving
Disney an entire commercial enterprise for free.
But they were only handed down because a publisher compiled the Public
Domain Chinese whisper stories and printed them.

As the best guarantee of data immortality is either commercial benefit
or political ego, I'm guessing (hopefully) that the Child scooped by
eagle will not be considered valuable enough to cache anywhere...

TomK

-- That men do not learn very much from the lessons of history is the
most important of all the lessons of history. ~Aldous Huxley