[LINK] Moses: 'How the internet became a closed shop'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Dec 22 18:18:15 AEDT 2012

At 18:46 -0800 21/12/12, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>Suggestion: advise students that the accepted exchange format is
>Office 97. That is what I do. At least that way, everyone can read
>the word and excel documents, including OO. It is as easy as
>"Save As...". Ironic, isn't it, that different versions of MS's own
>office suite sometimes cannot handle their own document formats. Or
>sad. Or pathetic.

Do recent versions of MS Office still read and write Word 6 format?

The v.6 software was probably the worst they ever produced (and there
was plenty of competition for that tag), but the format appears to
have been quite clean, and was a lot more reliable than 97 / .doc.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law               University of NSW