[LINK] Understanding Google's new privacy policy

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Feb 3 18:47:38 AEDT 2012

At 06:17 PM 3/02/2012, Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
>It was pretty hard to find my public google profile - possibly, because I
>already have such a high profile on the Internet. In the end, I did a
>search "Marghanita site:profiles.google.com" and got:
><https://profiles.google.com/110241308026236585465#110241308026236585465/about>
>
>Marghanita

Just did an experiment to avoid using google to find the information
by using Startpage.

"Marghanita da Cruz host:profiles.google.com" (I put in site:, but
startpage changed it to host)
No results.

Same with my own name.

So I held my nose and did it in Google and got the results for Marghanita.

Then I used my own name and the Social Worker in the US turned up,
but not me. Yay.
Given Google's requirement for actual identity, how do they deal with
people with the same name? I'm definitely not the religious woman
whose profile is up there

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com