[LINK] ACLU: proposed PRECISE Act allows exceptions to US privacylaws for internet companies.

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Mon Feb 6 14:20:39 AEDT 2012

Is that like the hospital where I had my (insert relevant procedure
here) sharing my data with big Pharma for "Security purposes"???
i.e.: to presumptively eliminate the possibility of Medicare Fraud.

Surely that would be a valid use of my personal data.

Or even, with the Insurance Council of Australia Loss Assessors -
Security Branch ?
Or was that securities Branch?

Looking up the free online Dictionary:
se.cu.ri.ty  (s-kyr-t)
n. pl. se.cu.ri.ties
1. Freedom from risk or danger; safety.
2. Freedom from doubt, anxiety, or fear; confidence.
3. Something that gives or assures safety, as:
a. A group or department of private guards: Call building security if a
visitor acts suspicious.
b. Measures adopted by a government to prevent espionage, sabotage, or
attack.
c. Measures adopted, as by a business or homeowner, to prevent a crime
such as burglary or assault: Security was lax at the firm's smaller
plant.
d. Measures adopted to prevent escape: Security in the prison is very
tight.
4. Something deposited or given as assurance of the fulfilment of an
obligation; a pledge.
5. One who undertakes to fulfil the obligation of another; a surety.
6. A document indicating ownership or creditorship; a stock certificate
or bond.

Ah... se.cu.ri.ties = Financial Instruments... Oh, I see.

The one I like is The veiled reference to Animal Farm, d. ...to prevent
escape...

TomK

http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security-technology-and-liberty/cybers
ecurity-bill-advances-house-does-it-advance/

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant