[LINK] Gillard announced a $620 million deal for two NBN broadband satellites.

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Wed Feb 8 22:21:24 AEDT 2012

I'm reluctant, because I'm afraid no-one can handle the truth, but here
goes.

Current Optus speeds top out at 12 Mbps using C-Band.
The new Optus D-3 satellite was to have KA-Band, but only as a
directional telemetry beacon and not for user data...
Basically it is a rebuild of the D series Satellites and has 16
transponders with around 30 MHz each. Each Megahertz equals approx 6
Mbits.
Therefore, during the daytime (with full sun on the solar panels it can
manage around 2.8 Gbits per.)
At night, as all those people who were on D2 before D3 went up are
aware, the bandwidth disappeared about 10:30 at night. Late twilight
caused by Sundown time  +36K kms distance from earth.

Quote/ [From
http://www.spacenews.com/contracts/120207-loral-lands-sat-contract-nbn.h
tml]

PARIS - Space Systems/Loral will build two Ka-band broadband satellites
for Australia's government-owned NBN Co. following a long competition
that featured many of the world's satellite and ground hardware
manufacturers, according to industry officials.

So with KA band, we have around 1.3 GHz of Spectrum available, depending
on the transponder configuration, the potential should be around 18720
Gbits but split over several "areas" or footprint zones.

I am guessing 24 transponders (limited by the number of solar panels
available for maximum EIRP) So I guess if the Satelite is for 3% of
Australians to use then each will get approximately 260 kbps (in 2015)
during the day time, if they're all on at once AND the pop hasn't
exceeded 24 million.
Night time will be about 250 kbps, slowly decreasing over the life of
the batteries to 0 bps by the end of year three.

Linkers would remember the discussion we have on here a few months ago
in relation to KA band JAXA KizunnaWinds delivering a healthy 155 Mbps
to rural users in Japan.

That was with  different transponder configuration and batteries that
only had to last for a few months in a trial.

Ignoring the Liblab fundamental difference in policy, Malcolm is partly
right with his comments. With the existing and proposed satellites we
have excellent coverage options (except in valleys and cities) but
unfortunately, coverage does not necessarily mean throughput.

We need KA band, not S, C, L, X, or Ku band.

Planned Satellites
127	71 E	planned	Eutelsat W5A	 	 	Eurostar-3000
Eutelsat Communications S.A.	TBD	5000	1-Sep-2012 - 30-Dec-2012
48 Ku-band transponders to provide Voice/data networks, Broadband
applications, Governmental services and Professional Video services to
Europe, Middle-East, Central Asia, Far East/Australia and Central Africa
131	72 E	planned	Intelsat 22 (IS-22)
BSS-702MP	Intelsat, Ltd.	Baikonur Cosmodrome	6400
1-Jan-2012 - 30-Jun-2012		24 C-band transponders, 18
Ku-band transponders transponders for commercial use, as well as 18
Ultra-High Frequency (UHF) transponders to provide service to the
Australian Defence Force
238	164 E	planned	Optus 10	 	 	LS-1300	Optus
Communications	TBD	3200	30-Dec-13		24 Ku-band
transponders to provide high quality broadcast services to households,
and twoway voice and data communication services to areas in and around
Australia and NZ
240	166 E	planned	Intelsat 19	 	 LS-1300
Intelsat, Ltd.	Sea Launch (Odyssey)	 	1-Apr-2011 - 30-Jun-2012
24 C-Band and 34 Ku-Band transponders to provide telecommunication
services and enhanced distribution of content throughout Asia-Pacific
region with reach to the Western United States, Australia and New
Zealand

I do however see Jabiru 1, an Australian initiative that points at
Africa because it couldn't get enough business in Australia.

92	46 E	planned	Azerspace (Africasat 1A)	Star-2.4 Bus
MEASAT Satellite Systems Sdn. Bhd.	TBD	3250	30-Dec-13
36 transponders (C+Ku band) to provide services to Azerbaijan, Central
Asia, Europe and Africa

Which signed a lucrative contract for 180 million the other day with an
Malaysian company.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02/06/newsat_scores_big_client/

What a shame that Australian companies can't get Government support. Is
it any wonder all our jobs are going offshore ?

I would really like the Prime Minister to tell us why the contract
couldn't go to an Australian Firm.
Especially one that is listed on the ASX, has predominantly Australian
shareholders and would have provided additional Australian jobs.

TomK
Disclaimer: I have no interest in Newsat.