[LINK] Natural Language Generation for AFL Reports in Aboriginal Languages, 4pm ANU Today

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Feb 13 09:45:46 AEDT 2012

Mark Dras, Department of Computing, Macquarie University will speak on
"Arrernte Footy: A Computational Grammar and Natural Language Generation
System for Arrernte" at the Australian National University School of
Language Studies in Canberra, 4pm, today. He will discuss the analysis
of reports of AFL football matches in the language of the Arrernte
people of Mparntwe (Alice Springs):
http://web.science.mq.edu.au/%7Eayeye/index.php?page=home

ANU School of Language Studies

Monday 13 February SEMINAR 4 pm
Baldessin Building, Room W 3.03: http://lostoncampus.com.au/16342
Map: http://lostoncampus.com.au/16342/map

Mark Dras, Department of Computing, Macquarie University

Title: A Computational Grammar and Natural Language Generation System
for Arrernte

Abstract:

Natural Language Generation (NLG) systems have as their goal the
generation of human-like text from some underlying representation, often
numerical or other data from a database. We are currently developing an
NLG system to generate texts in both English and Arrernte about
Australian Rules football games, of the sort found in newspapers after a
game has been played (e.g. "GEELONG has claimed the club's ninth
premiership and marked itself as one of the greatest sides of all time
with a stunning 38-point Grand Final win against Collingwood...."). The
final stage of this system is a realisation component that is built
around Lexical Functional Grammar (LFG) and its XLE environment for
grammar development: this takes a description of the functional
structure of a sentence, and uses a computational grammar to make
appropriate lexical and syntactic choices to produce the actual
sentence. A large-scale grammar of English has already been developed by
the international ParGram project, which we will be using; we are now
building a computational grammar of Arrernte, based on existing
linguistic descriptions of the language.

In the talk I will give an overview of this system, with a focus on the
computational grammar of Arrernte, in particular how we've implemented
in the LFG formalism a number of constructions that have been discussed
in the literature, such as complex predicates like associated motion.

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/