[LINK] NSW Ombudsman Website Search powered and blocked byGoogle

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Feb 14 14:30:24 AEDT 2012

<SNIP>
> Interesting - looks like this is indeed a different case to
> the normal "sorry" page.
>
> It would appear that Google has basically deprecated the
> www.google.com/custom URL, but without telling anyone!
> Even going to that URL manually and doing a search results in the
Sorry page coming up.

> In theory this wouldn't matter, as the search box is supposed to be
done using Javascript
> which would have automatically picked up the change in name - however
it looks like
> this site simply has hard-coded the URL, which is what's causing the
problem.

> The custom search URL has been abused in the past, but simply
redirecting it to the
> Sorry page regardless of the situations seems a little extreme, even
for Google...

So Scott, our choices would then seem to be reduced to:

1.   Google can really filter, they were just joking about China.
2.   Google can do evil, they were just joking about being the good
guys.
3.   This is actually a Beta of Googles new service... HR-101[Ref:1]

Did I miss anything ?