[LINK] SMH: 'Man sues Twitter over hate blog'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Fri Feb 17 08:33:42 AEDT 2012

At 08:01 AM 17/02/2012, Roger Clarke wrote:

>''Twitter are a publisher, and at law anyone involved in the
>publication can be sued,'' Mr Gibson said. ''We're suing for the
>retweets and the original tweet.''
>
>While it is widely believed Twitter cannot be sued, Mr Gibson cited
>the landmark 2002 High Court case where Melbourne mining magnate
>Joseph Gutnick won the right to sue US business news publisher Dow
>Jones in Victoria under Australian law, rather than in the US.

What rubbish. That is an apples/oranges comparison. Twitter is no
more a publisher than is Facebook or Google. Where do these idiot
lawyers come from? As we saw in Australia years ago, as soon as a
carriage provider starts censoring content from their own volition,
they become a publisher and WILL be sued. As long as they are a
non-involved carrier, they should not have any content
responsibility. The only thing I can see even close is if their terms
of service include some sort of content restrictions. That is a grey
area as the company is then being editorial in their relationship
with people providing the content.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com