[LINK] Propaganda, manipulation and the abuse of media [Was: IPA, astroturfing and fantsy themes/Science under attack]

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Feb 22 13:01:09 AEDT 2012

Two things:

1. the backfire effect
http://www.skepdic.com/backfireeffect.html

The "backfire effect" is a term coined by Brendan Nyhan and Jason
Reifler to describe how some individuals when confronted with evidence
that conflicts with their beliefs come to hold their original position
even more strongly.

2. I'm not a climate scientist but I do claim to know a quite a bit
about modelling.

The models the climate scientists use for their predictions are very
suspect. They are a) linear (the world is non-linear) and b) they are
incomplete (they leave out potentially critical effect).

This means, to me, that the climate change predictions are not to be
trusted. That does not mean that I doubt global climate change, but I do
doubt that we understand the impact of human activity. Climate change
may well be happening faster and more dangerously than the climate
scientists predict.

The only sensible course to me is to do as little damage to the
environment as possible.

Just MHO.

--

Regards