[LINK] Google going for 'gold'

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Jan 11 11:39:19 AEDT 2012

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> [Note the mention of privacy comes at the very end of the article.]
>
> Google gets more personal with search results
>
> 2:03 PM, Jan 10, 2012
>
> http://www.9news.com/news/article/241357/188/Google-gets-more-personal-with-search-results-
>
> SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Google is sifting through the photos and
> commentary on its blossoming social network so its Internet search
> results can include more personal information.
>
> The additional personal touches that began to roll out Tuesday mark
> another step toward one of Google's most ambitious goals. The
> Internet search leader eventually hopes to know enough about each of
> its users so it can tailor its results to fit the unique interests of
> each person looking for something.

Have a look at "The Filter Bubble" which cogently addresses many of the
more serious issues surrounding the personalised Internet. From perils
affecting an individual's perception and participation in the bigger picture
to the assault personalisation makes on our democracies, Eli Pariser
writes with deep background knowledge and experience. Highly recommended.

<http://www.thefilterbubble.com/>

Google, Facebook and a few other such sites feature very prominently in
his book. His credentials include "former Executive Director of MoveOn
(and now the board president), [and] a co-founder of Avaaz.org".

IMHO, intelligent and informed discussion should begin on how we as
users of the Net can avoid the perils of personalisation (i.e, "the bubble")
and maintain a decent sense of both anonymity when required, and a broad
view of the Internet, always.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out,
the conservative adopts them.
      -- Mark Twain