[LINK] Energy Catalyzer (E-Cat)

jim birch planetjim at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 16:42:54 AEDT 2012

On 13 January 2012 13:16, TKoltai <tomk at unwired.com.au> wrote:

> Comparison is for one pound of each metal. Therefore the heat from the
> isotopic conversion would need to generate a minimum of $6.00 worth of
> energy for every pound of metal, before the output cost disadvantage is
> neutralised.

BOE:

If you can combine a Ni-58 and Protium H-1 to get a Cu-59 you get a
fractional reduction in mass of 0.00006.

Using an isotope composition of 68% and E = MC**2 you get a theoretical
energy release from 1 kilo of Nickel of 78,000 MJ or 22 MWhr, that is, like
a day's output from a smallish power station for a few bucks.  Not a bad
deal.  It would well and truly pay for the nickel even if you couldn't grab
100% of the energy produced (e.g. due to the force of the explosion)

Unfortunately, it is very, very hard to smash a proton into a nickel
nucleus with sufficient force to get this to happen.  It takes a very
serious amount of energy, not just a little heating.  If it were possible,
I imagine that random interactions with hydrogen would have long used up
all the nickel here on earth, and anyway, none would have made it out of
the supernovas where where it was originally created at temperatures
measured in billions of degrees.

- Jim