[LINK] SMH: 'Megaupload closure hits legitimate users'

Paul Brooks pbrooks-link at layer10.com.au
Mon Jan 23 09:17:24 AEDT 2012

On 23/01/2012 8:56 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:
> [Article below on 'Megaupload closure as cloud failure'.
>
> [I've got a paper in press at the moment that examines 49 reported
> cloud outages.  If I'd held off a bit longer, this could have made a
> nice 50th.  (That's leaving aside the question as to whether
> Megaupload is genuinely cloud computing, i.e. uses virtualised
> servers, or just another ISP).]
>

> Megaupload closure hits legitimate users
> Nick Galvin
> The Sydney Morning Herald
> January 23 2012
> http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/megaupload-closure-hits-legitimate-users-20120122-1qc7d.html?skin=text-only

And this one, a legal analysis struggling to find a legal basis under New Zealand law
or international treaties for the arrest and shutdown....

Four key questions from the 'Mega conspiracy'

 http://www.itnews.com.au/News/287823,four-key-questions-from-the-mega-conspiracy.aspx

"

    Serious ramifications for all cloud services.

Last week's arrest of MegaUpload staff in New Zealand and the possibility of their
extradition to the United States raises significant questions for users of cloud
services the world over.

I spent the weekend discussing the ramifications of the case with Shelston IP partner
Mark Vincent, a globally recognised expert on cloud computing and the law, who by good
fortune also happens to be a New Zealand lawyer in Auckland.

We felt it best to distil concerns around the case down to four key questions:

-          *Does US territory now extend to cyberspace?*

-          *What crime would be grounds for extradition?*

-          *What constitutes racketeering in an intellectual property case?*

-          *Could this precedent extend to other cloud services?
*

[rest of the article on the website..don't want to be hounded for copyright
infingement for reproducing the whole article :-)]
**
P.