[LINK] Australia: US Copyright Colony or Just a Good Friend?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Mon Jan 23 09:27:06 AEDT 2012

A piece of related Rhetoric: 'MELBOURNE NOTES.', Cairns Post 13 July 1929:
>> There has been considerable ill feeling in the public over the attitude
>> taken up by the Western Electric Company of U.S.A. in relation to the use
>> of an Australian talkie machine which was giving excellent results. The
>> idea of dictating to Australia what she should or should not do, under pain
>> of American displeasure and the consequent boycott by the Americans of
>> those talking-picture theatres which dared to use the Raycophone in
>> defiance of the ukase of the U.S.A., just about on Prussianed Prussia when
>> she thought she had the world in her grip, and it is time Australia, like
>> Canada, showed the Amricans that she is still an integral part of the
>> United Kingdom of Britain and not subject to the Stars and Stipes....
<http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article40690800>

Which casts a different light on this recent news item:
> The GE Global Innovation Barometer ranked Australia's status as an innovation leader 16th out of 30 countries. Only 2 per cent of 2800 senior executives surveyed worldwide mentioned Australia as an innovation champion.
<http://www.smh.com.au/business/australia-lagging-in-innovation-20120118-1q6i5.html>

More about Raycophone at
<http://ramin.com.au/annandale/story4-1.shtml#raycophone>

Marghanita