[LINK] SMH: 'Megaupload closure hits legitimate users'

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Mon Jan 23 09:54:29 AEDT 2012

[am sending again because my original reply was sent from a different
address, the one I am receiving to - melbpc.org.au - and it didn't
post. Sorry if two show up now. Can't recall who is managing the list
now (sorry!) to report the problem]

At 08:56 AM 23/01/2012, Roger Clarke wrote:
>THE operation to arrest the founder of the online file-sharing
>service Megaupload and close down the website has left users
>worldwide in limbo and prompted warnings that consumers should not
>rely on "cloud" storage for their data.

So let's change the name of the company to say, hmm, how about Optus?
Or hey, what about Apple? What happens then? Aren't they both
advertising online storage now? What is to stop anyone, for good or
bad, putting up copies of copyrighted material on those sites? Do
they also provide sharing options for letting others access files
customers have put there? Maybe that is the difference. Maybe they
don't. Does anyone use these services and can explain if the same
thing could happen with them?

This event has shown up the underlying problem with SOPA/PIPA.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/