[LINK] Google+ update

TKoltai tomk at unwired.com.au
Tue Jan 24 12:34:32 AEDT 2012

Google via Gmail will select persons of interest and shutdown their
access until identified with an alternative email address or phone
number for a password SMS reset.

They claim it is because the account was used to send spam "probably as
a result of a virus" and advise the account holder to check their
computer for Malware.

As this computer was incapable of having any Malware (Virtual by
session) I became rather suspicious, especially as the "Malware"
occurred after that email address was used on a posting on the ABC
website (and had never been used for anything else apart from a couple
of business emails). Not because I was attempting to hide, but because I
was using that particular address for work purposes and the comment I
had left was related to work matters and not necessarily my personal
opinion.

This made me curious. Were the Australian ABC now asking Google to
provide them details of comments posters on their website ?

To isolate the thesis I registered over a number of days several new
addresses from different globally located IP's.
I then proceeded to make comments about different matters in various
forums.

Certain key words immediately triggered the Gmail "Account suspended
/Malware/ let us reset your password by sending you an SMS. What is your
mobile number?" response.

Test result, 5 dummy test accounts, 38 forum postings, 5 Malware
password resets.

Google is starting to give me the heebies. A bit late, I know, but then
I have always been slightly naive and trusting.

TomK